Monday, December 3, 2007

Unusual

I was chatting with one of my Chinese co-workers today. I told him that I’m saving up for a condo one day.

He gave me this weird look and said :”You know Esme girls here just wait until their boyfriends buy them one.”

What? Only recently I saw a news bit which said the rate of divorce in China is on the rise and demand for one bedroom apartments along with it. The story even followed a divorced mother as she looked for a new condo in Shanghai. But Shanghai is more cosmopolitan and modern compared to the small city that I’m in.

It made me think. Sometimes I wish I could depend on someone financially. If I didn’t have to worry about money then I would do a lot of things I can’t do now. Things like traveling, nice clothes, manicures, big closets etc.

Really though. I don’t think I’d like it. I have always been independent and being able to earn my own money is a big part of independence. I need to be in control. Now if someone wants to give me a million dollars to have and manage on my own, that would be a different story.

0 comments: