Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rewind on CBC

Midnight Thursday, I couldn’t sleep. I turned on the radio because sometimes the soft sounds of the radio helps me sleep. This program called “Rewind” was on. They replay old radio interviews from the past. Tonight it is interviews with students from universities across the country in 1962.

It took me awhile to find this link to it. I’m not sure if it will work so here is a little excerpt. The show began with a young man – president of the student body of his university and here is what he had to say.

My goal immediately is to make a million dollars.
A. Because I don’t feel there’s anything in the whole society which has anything worthwhile striving for. I don’t think there is any lasting value. It’s in a tremendous state of transition. The only thing that has any meaning is money. Not having had any poses a tremendous thing to search for and to seek for.

It’ll buy me everything from dignity to learning. It’s the only thing that anyone has put any value on in this society. I’m obviously going to get nothing from personal relationships. They are collapsing all over the place… There’s no cause in the country that’s worth working for. There’s not sense of national purpose in Canada, unless perhaps as a separatist.

That is basically my position.


It surprises me how candid he was about money and his materialism. Also, it’s sad that he thought there is no meaning in this world but money.

I wonder where is he now? Did he go on to become a big CEO and retire on millions of dollars. Did he find faith in relationships? Or is he alone?

0 comments: