Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On my own

The BF and I split up. A while back. This might not be a big surprise, as I didn’t talk about moving to his city after my layoff. We still talk, and I help him out with things he needs help with here (more later). Actually, after my layoff he offered to pay for my flight, and rent free living while I looked for a job. It was tempting. The breakup has been hard on the both of us. It didn’t come after any big event. Just the realization that the distance is too great. More importantly as we were both going through some big changes this year, we realized we see some things very differently. When it comes time to really support each other we fall short. So even though moving in with him would solve the distance problem, we still can’t close the gap on other things. We are probably better off in the long run.

That being said. We are very similar in some aspects like our interests, sense of humor, financial views etc. Sunday he called me. He had been to see open houses. He said looking at houses and seeing young couples house shopping and planning made him think of us and how it could have been. What can I say? I think of him too. It will take a little time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. You made a mature decision that was good for you and that's something to be proud of.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. These things are never easy. But at least you hadn't picked up your life and moved, which might have made you feel trapped.

Little consolation I know, but doing the mature thing generally sucks in the short-run.

Hang in there

Anonymous said...

oh man. just read this. *heart* You'll be ok in time (voice of experience, trust me!). Until then, hope you have lots to keep you engaging with life. Romance and love is an important part, but only *part*, of life.

Anonymous said...

I have your blog in my google reader and just wanted to say this post touched me.

I broke up with my boyfriend this week. We made it final this morning. No anger, no fight, just sadness. It simply didn't work out and we both got tired of trying and working at it, yet still falling short, like you said.

It would be comforting to slip back into the relationship and have him here, but it's a lot easier to stay together than it is to break up. And hard as it is right now, I think we'll both be better off in the long run too.

Esme said...

Thanks for the comments :) I'm definitely keeping busy. It helps a little not to have too much time to think of being alone.

Kathy,
Hang in there. I know what you are going through. But like everyone said here it really is the right decision in the long run.