Sunday, November 15, 2009

Garbage room finds? Would you?

A few months ago, I was with a friend - one of the most frugal people I know in real life. We were driving into her parking lot when she saw that someone threw away a ceramic planting pot outside in the alley. I ended up having to go outside with her to carry it into her place.

Her reasoning? A pot like that costs $20-$30. This one is free. All she needs to do is clean it.

I have to admit. I was a little embarrassed. What if someone saw me? What if the person who threw it away saw me?

Well as a new condo owner, I now completely understand. Things are so expensive! Yesterday I was dropping off some garbage at my garbage room downstairs. I saw someone threw out a big seagrass basket with lid. I was just looking at baskets and the cheapest ones cost $10-$20. Yep. I brought it upstairs. It's sitting outside on the balcony right now until I have time to give it a thorough clean.

To tell the truth. I'm a little proud that I could make something that someone didn't want into something nice I could use. Funny how perspectives change.

Anyone have any idea how to clean a seagrass basket properly?

0 comments: