Monday, February 1, 2010

RRSP the final sprint for 2009 contributions

2009 was the first year that I didn't do RRSP contributions directly from my pay cheques. I guess this is because my company doesn't match RRSP contributions and I wanted more choices than the mutual funds offered through the group RRSP. It's also the first year I decided not to try and max out my contributions. So I've been on and off with the RRSP contributions.

Now I've changed my mind on both. If I don't make an effort to contribute was much as I can, my limit will just keep building (and demands on my money such as mortgage, car etc will grow) and it will get harder to max it out.

Since I haven't contributed regularly, I'm having a hard time getting the money for the last minute contribution. It's not that have haven't been saving. I just haven't been planning. If I had I probably could have done something differently.

Off the top of my head, I could have contributed more during the year instead of saving as much as I can for downpayment. Then when it came time for the downpayment I could've taken more out of my RRSPs with the first time home buyers plan. And when I get my taxes returns, I could use that to start paying back my RRSPs. That's just one thought. Point to remember for future, is plan ahead.

0 comments: