Friday, August 29, 2014

My Moving Checklist



With the purchase of new rentals and moving so much the last few years, you'd think I go this moving part down.  Yesterday I suddenly realized that I haven't set up Property taxes for our newest rental.  Just plain old forgot for about 2 months.   So I called 311 and they had someone send along a TIPP application (this is Calgary's Tax Installment Payment Plan).  It tells me how much I owe, what my monthly payment is going forward, and of course the penalty for being late on the outstanding amounts so far.  For my forgetfulness, I owe $76.45.
No more penalties I say.  I set out to create a checklist to remind me of things to do before/after possession of a new house and thought I would share this as well.
Moving Checklist

  • Set up utilities
  • Set up/Move Phone, Internet, and TV services
  • Buy home insurance
  • Set up Property Taxes
  • Set up Condo Fee Payment
  • Update Driver License
  • Update Car Insurance
  • Update Employment Information
  • Update Schools & Register for new schools & transfer school records
  • Sign up for Mail forwarding to new address
  • Sign up for Welcome Wagon (Optional of course.   But is always nice to have a visit with a new neighbor and get some coupons and samples)

Other great checklists, which breaks the list into timelines are:

 
Mail Forwarding:
A good way to ensure you don't miss any mail is mail forwarding.  However, you will eventually want to change all your address because mail forwarding is not free.  Below is a list to help you get started in terms of thinking who you need to update your mail with.  Then as you start receiving forwarded mail at your new home you can update the address with the sender.
  • Banks
  •   Credit Cards 
  •  Professional Associations 
  •  Memberships (Costco, Co-op, Library etc.) 
  •  Magazine subscriptions
  • Donations
  • Schools 
  • Alumni 
  • Cell phone 
  • Doctors 
  • Dentist 
  • Friends/Family

0 comments: