Monday, November 12, 2007

Mum’s Christmas Flowers


A few years ago, mum walked by a pot of Christmas flower at her co-worker’s desk. The plant had shed a few branches onto the floor due to some…rough handling. Mum picked those branches up, put them in a cup of water until they grew some root, and potted them.

Now, we have three pots of Christmas flowers which bloom like crazy every Christmas. Also, from those pots mum has grown more to give to her co-workers, my sister, the in-laws…quite a few people.

This may not be a particularly personal finance story but it really makes me think about how people can take something quite unexceptional (something that others may think is garbage) and make something beautiful out of it. All it takes is a little creatively and work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, this is the first time I have heard of flowers actually named Christmas flowers. I've gotta ask my Poulsbo florist where to get these.

Esme said...

Actually...I'm not absolutely sure that's what they are called. I heard that name once.

I did a search on Google and seems that some people also call it the Christmas Cactus flower.

If someone know for sure what they are called, let me know :)

Melissa said...

That is so cool that she has great flowers every year now from some shedded branches!

Esme said...

Yes, mum is really good with flowers :)