Friday, February 27, 2009

New Trading Account

They say Canada has five seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and RRSP season. So forgive me if I have RRSP on my mind lately. Here is where I am.

Previously, my RRSP were all invested in a company group plan. When I left my job last summer I had to transfer them out of the group plan. Since I was planning to take it out for buying a place soon, piled everything into RRSP short term GICs.

As of right now, I'm planning to take out all that RRSP for my home purchase when the time comes. However, any additional contributions make in the future, I have no plans on taking out.

Another thing with my future contributions is that I will have total freedom in deciding how to invest them. I'm not going to be contributing through my new company's group plan. Why? Because I won't get a contribution match from the company so there is no point in limiting myself to the group mutual funds.

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my future contributions. I think I want to open a registered trading account. It's a good thing to have. I already have a regular trading account. Lately, when I'm considering buying something I have caught myself occasionally thinking I should buy this in a registered account instead and can't because I don't have one.

Any suggestions? I have one account in mind, but I have to look into it some more.

0 comments: