Wednesday, May 13, 2009

House Envy

House hunting is hard!  There is the searching on MLS, booking viewings, and the disappointment when it's not the one.  Saturday, we found the perfect house.  The right size, the right layout, the right price, and the right neighbourhood.  It was across from a park, and in a cul-de-sac, two nice things to have.  Unfortunately, on the other side of the wall of the cul-de-sac was a major road.  Too noisy.  And we are back to square one.

Then there is the house envy.

As Sis and Bil were visiting for Mother's day, the whole family came with me to look at this place.  Afterwards we walked around the area to see what else is up for sale.  We came across this open house.  One look at it I knew we wouldn't be able to afford it.  Having seen plenty of properties around here, I estimated the price to be over $1 million – so far beyond my price point, I'd need binoculars.

They wanted to see.  What's the harm in having a look?  I'll tell you what's the harm.  It took me 30 minutes to pry them away from the place.  I almost had to drag mom out.  To be fair, it was a screaming deal but doesn't mean we can afford it.  They started talking about what they could do so they can afford it (schemes like all of us moving into the house and winning the lotto).  Now nothing else looks decent enough to live in – obviously, any house we can afford would look like a hole compared to a $1.5 million house.  This is why I told them not to look.

0 comments: