Monday, February 4, 2008

Cost for peace of mind

I just came back from posting my Egypt tourist visa applications. In total, including the money order for the $26 Visa fees, it cost me $67.99.

I could have just got the visa at the Cairo airport. However, I’m arriving late at night and Sis didn’t want me to take the chance that there might be some glitch. I agree.

The embassy only accepts money orders so it cost me an additional $4.95 for the money order.

Then I paid Priority post - $24.29- for overnight delivery, and $10.99 for an Xpresspost return envelope.

I did this because we are getting close to the travel date – Feb 20, 2008. I paid for the extra quick delivery so my application gets in right away. Then I will call to make sure that all paper works are in order. If not, I get some extra time to fix things. Xpresspost takes 1 to 2 days, which should be ok provided I stay on top of my application status.

This is an additional $41.99 compared to if I got my Visa at the airport. But it’s worth it for the peace of mind it gives me. It’s much easier to get things done before hand and in your own country, than doing it last minute at the airport of a foreign country with a tour starting the next day with or without you.

0 comments: