Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Looking back

Reading this article brought back memories of when I was applying to universities. When I was that young, everything that happens felt like a big deal and university admissions would be the biggest of them all. There was a postal strike right around the time when acceptance letters were sent out. When the deadline for letters to arrive came and went without a single acceptance letter, my future flashed before my eyes. I was going to have to work my way up from the lowly part-time hotel job what I had to a manager at best. It was going to be awful. It’s funny to think back and see how naïve and unkind I was. It wasn’t going to be the end of the world. And there were plenty of nice and happy people, whom I work with, who are proud to work the hotel jobs.

Then when the letters arrived there was the drama of picking one. It felt that this one choice would decide whether I have a good life or a bad one. I was wrong about that too.

Although I am far from perfect, I did learn something important in my 20+ years. Not one thing is going to decide my life. Yes, events, decisions, a number of things, may have a significant impact on my life. But nothing to make me think ‘my life is over’ that’s just giving up. As long as I keep trying, I can hope. If I can hope, there is no reason to think that it’s over.

0 comments: